Semmelweis University is the oldest medical university in Hungary. Its history started over 250 years ago in 1796. Today, Semmelweis University with its six faculties and health care specialization occupies a distinguished place in the Hungarian higher education system. Built on the trinity of education, research and patient care, it has become an internationally recognized center of knowledge. The English Language Program was introduced at Semmelweis University in 1989. Since then, the number of students participating in the Program has been constantly growing. At present, every third student of the University is from abroad, who arrive from five continents and 70 different countries. More than 1700 students conduct their education in English language, oversubscription is multiple.
Faculty of Medicine
- The largest faculty of medicine in Hungary − 17 institutions, 22 clinics, 7 departments, 17 departmental groups
- Among the world’s best 151-200 medical universities (QS ranking, 2017)
- Stable theoretical knowledge, practice oriented education
- The curriculum in Medicine consists of six years of studies
Faculty of Dentistry
- The largest faculty of dentistry in Hungary
- The courses convey theoretical knowledge and practical skills (allows fresh graduates to practise patient care)
- Six of the Faculty’s eight departments are located in the recently completed Dental Clinical and Training Centre, one of the most state-of-the-art dental institutes in Europe
- The curriculum in Dentistry consists of five years of studies
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- The largest and oldest faculty of pharmacy in Hungary
- Among the world’s 150 best faculties of pharmacy (QS ranking, 2017)
- The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences has been a research-oriented unit of higher education ever since its foundation
- The curriculum in Pharmaceutical Sciences consists of five years of studies
Faculty of Health Sciences
- The largest and the first institution in Hungary to train health care workers on a high academic level
- The Faculty of Health Sciences’ has English language programmes in health care: Physiotherapy (B.Sc. & M.Sc.), Nursing (B.Sc. & M.Sc.) and Midwifery (B.Sc.).
- Extensive international cooperation in the fields of health care education and research
- The curriculum in Health Sciences consists of four years of studies
A representative promotional video has been created on the occasion of the university’s 250th anniversary.